Skip to main content

So What is Next?

Perhaps you think I will now want to conquer India, or China ,or Africa or go West.  No I've fallen in love with Russia in a big way and I'm already formulating plans to go there again.  I've done the tourist thing and I'm glad I did, but now I want to get to know real Russians and live as family.  In Britain we have a marvelous invention known as a Twinning Association.  It all started many years ago where towns from Britain were twinned with towns from France, and then Germany and so it spread.  Then one day the university of Exeter, near me became twinned with the university of Yaroslavl.  Next the cities decided to be twinned.  I heard about this last year and joined the Association.  Every year the Russians come to us for a week and we return to them for a week.  I couldn't go last Spring as I had already booked the cruise, but next year I shall be ready and waiting. Meanwhile I email Ludmilla and try out my Russian on her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

How to improve your public speaking

We don't like having our presentation criticised by other people. I find the best way to improve my public speaking from the pulpit is to record the service with a small dictaphone and then criticise myself. I know the dictaphone is impartial so I have to believe what it tells me. For other tips on starting to preach look at this How to become a local preacher with the Methodist Church in the U.K.