Skip to main content

Reasons to learn a new language

I have been learning Russian for about a year.  There were times when I felt like giving up, but   something would come along to cheer me up and I redoubled my efforts.  But why do this at 70?  When I had already started learning I heard a programme about dementia and apparently learning a new language, it is claimed helps to put off the onset of dementia.  So there, indeed, is a good reason. It is one thing to learn to read and write a foreign language but speaking it and understanding it when spoken is another thing.  So how do I help myself with these things.  One thing I do is to listen to Russian on my phone.  Even when it is in the background I believe my brain is receiving it.  Just as a baby learns to speak from being surrounded by the spoken word in the home so if I listen eventually it will have a good effect.  I have the Bible recorded in Russian.  I was brought up on the Bible and know quite lot of the Bible and so I can pick out a story in Russian quite well.  But why did I want to learn in the first place?  After reading about Peter the Great I felt I wanted to know more about the "ordinary" people of Russia, like the serfs who built St Petersburg, many dying in the attempt.  To get to grips with who a people are you need to learn the language.  There you find out how they tick, their loves and sorrows, their fears and hopes. Another tip, try to read a passage of the chosen language out loud every day.  I realise I am not doing that just now so I am glad I have reminded myself. Also on the internet it is possible to find Russian T.V. There again you can find Russian on Youtube with subtitles from President Putin's interviews to all sorts of films.  This has been such an adventure learning but I do believe you need a teacher with whom you can work face to face.  The corrections and help mine gives me are invaluable. So maybe it's time for you to take up a new language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

How to improve your public speaking

We don't like having our presentation criticised by other people. I find the best way to improve my public speaking from the pulpit is to record the service with a small dictaphone and then criticise myself. I know the dictaphone is impartial so I have to believe what it tells me. For other tips on starting to preach look at this How to become a local preacher with the Methodist Church in the U.K.