Skip to main content

A Time To Be Refreshed at Lee Abbey

I've been away for the weekend at a lovely place called Lee Abbey. It's on the coast of North Devon, England looking out over the Bristol Channel. The weather was good and the scenery beautiful. There were about thirty of us from our Methodist group of churches, known as a circuit. There were also lots and lots of other people from many different places. The day to day running of the place such as cleaning and cooking is undertaken by people who live as a community together there. These include young people from all over the world. Perhaps you would like to be there. I give the link to their website below.
This is a place where you have time to discuss your faith with others and think through your own issues about the christian life. It is always good to step back from your everyday life and reflect on what is really important. This life is not a lazy game. It is a time when we need to find God who is in fact finding us. Have you been wasting your time on the foolish distractions of your life? Take yourself by the scruff of your neck and wake up to what is important, the place God has in your life. Have you let the fascinating trinkets of the material world keep you blinkered so that you ignore God? I will pray for you that your eyes will be opened and you will throw away the things which clutter your life and that you will search after God. If you seek him with all your heart you will find him, but it must be with all your heart.

Lee Abbey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.