Skip to main content

The Lord's prayer

Do you say this prayer once a week in church? Do you say it every day? It was never meant to be used like that. It is a pattern from which we can make our own prayers. There is no virtue in repeating the same words over and over again. Jesus said that the pharisees thought they would be heard by God because they said long prayers and used "vain repetition."

The Lord's prayer is a pattern of how to set about praying to God. Always we need to start with God, not ourselves and realise that he is our Father and is holy. Then we speak of what he wants our world to be like, his kingdom coming to earth and his will being done. We then pray for our practical needs, recognising that we are totally dependent on him. Next we acknowledge our sin and ask for forgiveness and agree to forgive our neighbour also. We ask for God's protection against temptation and the evil one. To end we again acknowledge how great God is and end there. Try setting the Lord's prayer out in front of you and after each line add something of your own that fits in with those words. You should find this very helpful. It is so easy when just repeating words to do it on auto-pilot and gain nothing from it. I would love you to tell me if this is helpful to you.

Comments

  1. I actually had my heart opened to the true meaning of the Lord's Prayer by a TV Rabbi who spoke about it several years ago. He stated that most people recite the words as if we are begging God not to do bad things to us and this is not in the spirit of Christ's prayer.It is also not meant to be recited on auto-pilot as so many of us tend to do.The words Jesus used in his prayer are words of praise and thanksgiving:

    God's name is holy. He should be praised for who He is and what He has done for us. It is all about His everlasting kingdom in Heaven and His desire to see His will done on the Earth. It is not about us and the whims of the age.He provides all our needs and forgives us of our sins and expects us to forgive others. God is not the author of temptation;he delivers us from evil. God is truly great and worthy of our praise. He created us and we belong to Him. All He really asks of us is that we love and obey Him and love one another.

    After a lifetime of mindlessly quoting the words over and over,the revelation of the true meaning of the Lord's Prayer changed my life.

    May God continue to use and bless you,Lizpreach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this helpful comment Tyla. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.