Skip to main content

What to Do When You Can’t think what to Write.



Well you can write about how you feel now that you can’t think what to write.  It is a whole huge topic in itself.  At one moment one’s head is full of ideas pressing upon one another to be the one honoured to be the topic chosen by the author to grace a piece of blank paper; and then one finds they have all slunk away and hidden in the deep recesses of the mind refusing to show themselves at all. However there is nothing like making a start in filling the blank page, as the writing process has a habit of loosening up those tightly hidden corners of the mind and popping out a topic.  Of course there is nothing like having a topic which makes your blood boil; that is the time when the words begin to flow freely.  And so let me tell you about a parish council meeting I went to a few months ago.  It was about new housing in our village.  Once it was a small village but from about forty years ago it expanded rapidly but still managed to keep its charming character and community spirit.  The meeting gave the impression that at most five houses would be built in the next five, or was it twenty years?  This seemed like good news.  Apparently the District Council was concentrating building in the bigger towns around us.  What good news this seemed, but it soon became apparent that none of these plans were fixed in stone.  If the government decided it wanted more housing in our area that is what they would get.  All the consultation of the villagers was ineffective and probably a waste of time. I know that people need houses and life must change around us but I do so wish they would not patronise us and waste our time on “consultation.” It is as if the lion would consult the wildebeest before killing him, a wholly insincere action on the part of the lion.  I sometimes wonder if we have ever had true democracy in this country!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.