Skip to main content

Why do you get in the boat?

As a young teenager on a trip to the seaside, I remember worrying about whether or not I would want to take "a trip round the bay" in a small boat. I was worried I would be sick or even fall in the sea. Then the minister said he was going around the bay, but his wife said. "You won't catch me getting in a boat." That made me realize it was not obligatory, I could just say,"No thank you," and my torment would be over. If you are adventurous by all means step into the many boats that life offers, but if you like a calm life, just say "No, thank you."

How many of us are doing things because other people enjoy them, when really we would rather not do them? Are you on a treadmill of continuous "pleasure" when really you would rather take life at a calmer pace? Are you working yourself to your absolute limit in order to take three foreign holidays a year, because all your friends do? I don't suppose you have even realized this is what you are doing. I have never been abroad and yet I am one of the most content women I know. It says in the Bible "godliness with contentment is great gain." So I have the contentment, what about the godliness. That sounds like a lot of good living, but that is not what it really means. Godliness is about worshipping and loving God. I do that because I have been ungodly and sinned but Jesus has offerred me forgiveness and I have taken it. That makes me right with God. For more on this read Justification by Faith, the link below.

There is a modern hymn which has the words,"Lord in for land in this our generation, spirits oppressed by pleasure, wealth and care." (Timothy Dudley-Smith.) Have you ever realized that you are oppressed by these things.

I have cupboards and drawers full of clothes, far more than I need, I think I am oppressed by them. Take a look at the other link to see how to physically un-clutter you life.

Justification by Faith

How to De-Clutter Your House

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.