Skip to main content

Things to do in old age

Often as we grow older we are forced to down size because of moving to a smaller dwelling, but its good to down size anyway.  Over the years most of us tend to gather many things which seem precious at the time but when we died would be thrown out without a backward glance by those who come after us.  I prefer to do the throwing out now and lessen the burden on my loved ones.  It's not that I'm planning to go just yet, but then again who knows when. I've found it liberating in the last year to take a hard look at my possessions and find that I really don't need many of them any more.  This included my violin. I sold it to an adult learner in about May and I really haven't regretted it. Of course with the violin gone there were several piles of music to be passed on too. I love Jesus and I have so much to look forward to in being with him forever so why would I want to hold on to anything from this life.  The butterfly doesn't hang on to its cocoon case, it flies away free.  Possibly I shall live a little longer and collect more stuff, but I hope to continue the liberation of giving or throwing things away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

How to improve your public speaking

We don't like having our presentation criticised by other people. I find the best way to improve my public speaking from the pulpit is to record the service with a small dictaphone and then criticise myself. I know the dictaphone is impartial so I have to believe what it tells me. For other tips on starting to preach look at this How to become a local preacher with the Methodist Church in the U.K.