Skip to main content

Reaching for a goal in slimming or otherwise.





Recently I decided to lose some weight.  I had a little health scare that turned out to be nothing, but by then it had given me the impetus to lose weight.  I set myself some targets to tick off on the way.  I had books from a well known slimming group from a previous time when I had slimmed with them.  I decided I would do it alone as long as I was succeeding.  After all why pay out good money for something I was confident I could do on my own. Since February I have lost a stone.  That’s fourteen pounds to my American friends. I’ve plateau-ed a bit now but I’m getting through that.  I’m keeping a diary of what I eat and comparing it with my daily weight.  Yes, I know they tell you to weigh once a week, but I find it helpful to keep a close eye on things and it doesn’t discourage me because I can usually see a reason for any ups and downs in weight. 

  So how much value do I put on physical well-being within the picture of my spiritual life? I haven’t suddenly turned into someone who must be ultra-slim and ultra-fit.  However it makes sense to look after the bodies God has given us.  If we are fit enough to go out and about and meet other people we are more likely to be a witness to them of the Christian life and our Saviour. If we can set ourselves goals for our bodies maybe we can set some for our spiritual lives.  However just as there are fad diets that get you nowhere there is a lot of phoney advice on how to improve your spiritual lives.  One of these is the Read the Bible in a year scheme.  It sounds like a good idea and can certainly make you feel super spiritual, but the amount you need to read each day practically inhibits you from really taking in the message of each passage;  far better to read the Bible at a slower pace and take it in and by all means work through the whole Bible. If you like make an attempt at the Bible in a year but don’t be despondent if you can’t keep it going; you are not alone. There are no brownie points in heaven for me losing weight and that is the same for the Bible reading scheme. We are saved by faith alone in Christ alone and not by how many hoops we can jump through that our Pastor produces for us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.