Skip to main content

What's a Pentecost Party?

Well I went to one today, so I'll tell you. It all seemed very odd as I had not been to a service in the morning. It really was a great big party with folks from all over the circuit enjoying each other's company, whilst listening to a jazz band and seeing some birds of prey, in a separate room. It was a chance for me to chat to a friend from a church which has been innovative in encouraging new folk into their church. I always like to talk to people like that because it's what we need in our village. Our congregation is tiny and I'm sure many folk think we should just call it a day. We have recently started a coffee morning on the second Saturday of the month. This has not grown much yet but the conversations we have with people are worth the effort. I think it's all about building community.
I went to a service, well actually I took it, later in the day. Then I didn't feel quite so lop-sided about things. I come from a background of much attending of meetings, but I have to realise this is not the case for the younger generation.If you want to know more about my upbringing try this.
My Part in the Baby Boom
or this
My Christmas Story

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.