Skip to main content

In Your Face





There is something I really hate in Britain today and that is the way opportunities to bet are in your face every day.  Even the little village shops are not free of it .  The National Lottery machine sits in its ugly fashion right on the counter where I pay for my groceries.  It screams at me that i need to be “in it to win it.” I am ashamed to say that I do spend a few idle moments thinking of what I could do with a few million pounds.  I am very cross with myself for doing this because really I believe that God is in charge of my life and that if He wants to give me big money He will do it without me giving a helping hand.  Also if I try to force the issue what a load of trouble I am likely to get from those millions.

  Now I would not say I have a real problem with this issue but there are many people who get themselves into real difficulties with gambling.  What began as a little flutter can turn into a monster demanding to be fed more and more.  For these poor people there is now the added stumbling block of betting online.  Whereas they could once avoid passing the betting shop in town by taking a different street, now the temptation is in their own living room. They call it progress.  The television also advertises for the internet gambling and ends by saying, ”Bet responsibly.” as if this makes the advert O.K. In fact betting ruins many people’s lives.  Far better to trust in God and be content with what He has given you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.