Skip to main content

Good news





Before we can have the good news we must have the bad news.  That is why the Bible begins with Genesis.  We have to read the account of Adam and Eve’s behaviour in the Garden of Eden.  God their Creator had placed them in a beautiful place with a great variety of fruit to live on.  He told them they must not eat the fruit from one tree only, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  So what did they do and what would each one of us have done?  They ate that fruit.  This was not some tiny misdemeanour but wholesale rebellion against God. We all inherited their sin and stood condemned at that moment, but God was not taken aback, He had already made a plan of salvation. Centuries later His Son Jesus was born a human baby at Bethlehem, fully God and fully man. He grew up and taught His followers the way of salvation to be offered to all who would believe. He told Nicodemus
3:14 Just as31 Moses lifted up the serpent32 in the wilderness,33 so must the Son of Man be lifted up,34 3:15 so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.”35
3:16 For this is the way36 God loved the world: He gave his one and only37 Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish38 but have eternal life.39 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,40 but that the world should be saved through him. 3:18 The one who believes in him is not condemned.41 The one who does not believe has been condemned42 already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only43 Son of God.
Here we see that there is salvation for those who will believe but not for those who won’t. Many of today’s churches are preaching a cosy, fluffy religion where everyone is forgiven regardless of their response to Jesus.  The truth is harder for many to stomach and they call for preachers who will give them what they want to hear and they shun the truth. Truth is precious and we should not compromise our beliefs to please others. It is Jesus whom we must please.

Quote from the Net Bible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructive criticism

First of all thanks to Fat Prophet for your interest. I see from your blog you are having trouble commenting. To get back to my assessed service. Criticism albeit constructive is harder for some to take than others. I felt a little crushed after my assessed service but then remembered I had recorded it on my dictaphone. I listened to it all through and although my assessors were quite right about me speaking a little quickly and rushing from item to item, I was actually very pleased with the content of my sermon and how I presented it. So I have decided to take heart. I highly recommend other trainees to record your services. You can hear your good points and your bad and there is no argument about it, it is all caught on the recorder.

Section A

I've posted off my work for section A. Now to get on with B. Onward and upward as they say. It does feel good to have completed A, progress is being made.I think my tutor is more nervous than I as to the outcome, but then I am his first student. We are learning from each other.But then that should always be the case. It's an adventure we go on together.The course seems to be suiting me alright but I feel there are a lot of potentially excellent local preachers out there who are put off by the study. Something should be devised to include these good people, we can ill afford to do without them, especially as the numbers of ministers is dropping. What did Wesley do? You don't need a degree, or even A levels to preach. You need a call, and a close relationship with God.

Life after death

When we lose a loved one it is natural to wonder how they are faring in the next life. I would warn against going to a medium to find out. At worst these people are charlatans after your money, the rest misguided or worse. We are told in the Bible not to try to reach the dead. The best person to call on in this situation is Jesus. That's right, go to the top. He is always available through prayer and doesn't make a charge. All he requires is that you look for him with all your heart. He has the answers to all of life's difficult questions.